wedding planning tip: "where do i start"

Updated: Dec 11, 2018

One of the biggest question you will have when planning your wedding is "where do I start?"


If I wasn't as transparent, I'd say something along the lines of, "hire me, then I'll tell ya!" BUT, let's be real. You just got engaged, and I'm 90% positive you weren't thinking of me right after the proposal. {the other 10% would be my fam and/or bestie who, let's be honest, better be legacy lovers lol. Yea - I'm talking about you Laura}


So, let's at least get you started. There are three big things that go hand in hand:

  1. wedding goals

  2. wedding budget

  3. guest list

These three things are the most important decisions of your wedding planning because together, they will dictate the rest of the wedding and give you the end result you are looking for. Let's break this down a bit further:


  • wedding goals. Time for the sit down. Sit down as a couple and determine what you want your wedding to be like, feel like, and look like. What experiences do you want to have with your guests? What are your must haves, and have nots? It's important to then take this information and create your wedding goals and share it with your planner. It gives your wedding planning a direction, and helps you stay on track when the detail questions come up like, "what color napkins do we want". This is important if you have a design goal, but if you care more about food, beverage and atmosphere, you might not care as much. Just determine what's important to you.

  • wedding budget. Who's helping? Most people have no idea how much a wedding will actually cost them. That's ok! But you STILL need to have a general idea of what you can spend. Talk with your families first, and decide what that range will be. Then your planner will help you solidify realistic numbers. But you have to give your planner something to start with right?

  • guest list. Write it down. Be it in excel sheet, note pad, or sticky note, but write it down. This is obviously going to be a first draft, but this is important. It will help determine your budget, venue, catering expenses, and on and on... Also, be sure to include the "courtesy invites" {those you invite, but know can't come for whatever reason} , just put a star next to these. {we have a template for you to use too! just ask!}

Each of these go hand in hand. If your wedding goals include atmosphere, you may need lighting to create that or a band instead of a DJ, and that would affect the budget. Your budget is affected by the guest list. The higher the guest count, the higher the cost. And so on.... Get a good handle on these BIG THREE and the rest will come together.


Start here for planning, and if you need some help, just call us! We want to help you reach your #weddinggoals!


Happy Planning!

T


#weddingplanningtip #weddinggoals #weddingbudget #guestlist #legacyweddings #happyplanning

a professional wedding planning & design company servicing hilton head island, sc; bluffton, sc; beaufort, sc; savannah, ga, + charleston, sc; + surrounding areas

© Legacy Event Company 2023

  • Black Instagram Icon
  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Pinterest Icon

843.540.4346